1. Chickens can distinguish between more than 100 faces of their own species. Looks like elephants aren’t the only ones who have a great memory.
2. Chickens know who’s boss—they form complex social structures known as “pecking orders,” and every chicken knows his or her place on the social ladder.
3. Chickens have full-color vision—no color-blindness here!
4. Who likes to sunbathe? Apparently everyone—humans, cats, dogs, and chickens too! You can’t blame them.
5. Chickens are real sleeping beauties--they experience rapid eye movement (REM) sleep, which means they dream just like we do.
6. Chickens have pain receptors that give them the ability to feel pain and distress. Put yourself in the shoes (or the feathers) of a battery hen—or 452 million of them, which is how many are used for their eggs each year.
7. Hens defend their young from predators. Looks like calling someone a “chicken” is actually a compliment!
8. Who needs pepper spray? Chickens have more than 30 types of vocalizations to distinguish between threats.
9. Chickens are just like human mothers who talk to their babies in the womb—a mother hen begins to teach calls to her chicks before they even hatch.
10.Last but not least, chickens are adorable—take a look for yourself!
Help us spread the word about how interesting chickens are by sharing our page with your family and friends on Facebook!